How to get rid of hard water stains the quick and easy way
Hard water has lots of minerals in it that includes lime, calcium and silica. When the water evaporates the deposits of these minerals are left behind and they leave spots on ceramics or glass. If you are tired of this white or brown scum then it is time to find a solution to the problem.
Steps for removing the hard water stains
Now follow this comprehensive guide to remove the hard water stains in no time.
Step 1: Now the best and most affordable solution right in your kitchen is vinegar. It is definitely the best way to combat the hard water spots. Now you need to prepare a water and vinegar solution in a spray bottle. The spray bottle should have 50 percent vinegar and 50 percent water. However, make sure that you only use white vinegar. Apple cider vinegar will not be so effective in this regard.
Step 2: You can spray the vinegar and water mixture on the scummy surface. Vinegar does have unpleasant smell, but you can easily use it to clean the scum from sink, floor tiles and glass shower doors. Make sure that you spray this mixture on all the spots.
Step 3: Now if you do not want to use a spray bottle you have another alternative as well. You can make the vinegar and water solution in a bowl. Dip a rag in the solution and clean the spots with the rag. Most of the spots will be removed easily. Once the spots have been removed use a towel to wipe the surface. You can even use a clean cloth for drying the surface. If the cloth is not dry it will leave more spots.
Step 4: Make sure that you indulge in extensive cleaning. Make it a point to soak the shower heads and faucet aerators in vinegar on a periodic basis. Clean the hard water spots using a brush if the spots appear to be stubborn and hard to remove.
Now vinegar can do a perfect job in cleaning the hard water spots from the toilet bowl as well. You can directly pour about ½ a cup of vinegar in the toilet bowl. You can use a scrubber to clean the toilet bowl. Once the toilet bowl is clean then you will need to flush the vinegar.
Things to remember while cleaning hard water spots
Make sure that you remember these key aspects when you are cleaning the hard water spots.
- Do not wipe off the vinegar from the affected areas right away. The vinegar should be allowed to soak for about 15 to 30 minutes before wiping it off. For better results you can even soak a towel in the vinegar solution and then you can clean the hard spots using the towel.
- Now there are times when it becomes impossible to clean the hard water spots. Well if vinegar does not work for you then you can think on the lines of opting for hydrochloric acid. Remember it is a harsh chemical so you should only use it after the conventional methods of cleaning the hard water spots fail.
Preventing hard water spots
Well prevention is better than cure. Thus if you follow the below mentioned tips then you can prevent hard water spots in the first place.
- Always dry the surfaces after using the kitchen or taking a shower. The best thing to do will be to keep a dry towel handy.
- You can prevent the hard water spots in your washing machine as well. You can add water softeners in your washing machine and it can prevent the calcium deposits.
- Now if you do not have the time to remove hard water spots then the best thing to do will be to get a water softener system. This system will remove the minerals from the water and thus you will not have to deal with the hard water spots at all.
Both the methods for cleaning the hard water spots and preventing them have been presented to you. Make sure that you follow the hard water removal steps exactly as mentioned. However, if you stick to the preventive measures then you can get rid of the hard water spots forever.