How to Improve the Water Pressure in a Bathroom Sink
We all might have faced instances when the water pressure from all the other taps are pretty fine, but for some reason, the water pressure in the bathroom sink is so low. The water does not budge to pour out of the bathroom faucet or will be trickling out at a striking snail pace. We might then think of calling a plumber to repair the low-pressure problem, but we ourselves can easily take care of the situation thus avoiding the extra cost given to the plumber.
The low-pressure problem can occur both in old and newly installed faucets. Low water pressure in the bathroom sink in case of old faucets may be due to the clog taken place in the faucets. However, in the case of newly installed faucets, the pressure problem may be due to internal defects in the faucet.
Things needed to improve the pressure in the bathroom sink
- Channel lock pliers
To improve water pressure in bathroom sinks in case of old faucets
- The first part is to remove the retaining ring attached to the faucet. Locate the retaining ring and clamp the portion of the faucet using the channel lock pliers. It will prevent the rotation while unscrewing the retaining ring. Holding the pliers loosen the retaining ring and remove it from the faucet.
- There will be a plastic screen in the retaining ring that will be used for filtering purposes and smoothing the flow of water from the faucet. Gently push out the screen from the faucet. The screen will have a metal bushing around it to prevent it from damage. If the screen doesn’t come out, use a pin to push out the screen gently. The metal bushing and screen can move
- in this way.
- The dirt gets accumulated on the screen because of the deposition of sand and dirt in the water. Clean off the dirt and sand until the screen can be seen through and wash it in cold water to remove any dirt accumulated on it.
- Place back the screen back into the metal bushing and insert back the retaining ring. Ensure the removed portion of the faucet fits back properly in the grooves and tighten it. Make sure it’s well tight and run water through it to ensure no leakage.
- It will ensure the increase in water pressure in the bathroom sink.
To improve water pressure in bathroom sink in case of new faucets
The problem of low pressure in the new faucets is certainly not due to clogging of dirt materials in the faucet. The reason may be a faulty faucet or some problem with your water supply connection. Check the following things to determine the reason for the low pressure in the bathroom sink.
- Remove the faucet together and gently turn on the water supply to ensure that there is no clogging in the main supply pipe leading to the bathroom faucet. If the flow is not proper, there may be there are clogging in the main supply pipe.
- If the main supply pipe water flow is proper, then there may be a problem with the faucet due to some internal faucet. Replacing the faucet is the best solution to solve the problem of low water pressure.
Doing quick fix is easy, provided you have enough time to engage in fixing the issues. Also, you have to be prepared to face the unexpected other fixations works that may pop us in between the work. Always make sure that you have main supply valve before the pipeline coming to the faucet. Before start working on the faucet, close the main valve and proceed to work. Thus, this quick fix solution for solving the problem of decreased water pressure in the bathroom may help you to save few bucks and associated hassles.